Scattering Ashes at Sea
With over fifty percent of funerals in America ending in cremation, the first question many families have is, “What do we do with the ashes?”
Most, perhaps, place them on a fireplace mantle or other prominent shelf. A good many elect to inter the cremains of a loved one in a natural burial but for others there is another appealing and eco-conscious option—our Scattering Ashes At Sea memorial.
Marrying a dignified and timeless tradition with today’s most environmentally conscious practices, a loved one’s remains are spread atop the waves by family members and friends in the open ocean no closer than three nautical miles from the shoreline.
Thus, a person’s memory lives on not in a single location but everywhere the time, tides and winds take them—eventually coming to eternal rest surrounded by the serene and natural environment of the ocean floor.
Destination Destiny Memorials offers a unique approach for your loved one’s ashes.
Our services are geared towards the “Celebration of Life”, memorializing one’s life with celebration of how they chose to live that life and their desires to be connected to the sea.
- Our itinerary consists of meeting and debarking on your journey of memorialization and celebration at our deployment location(s), Southern New Jersey or Los Angeles, California
- Enjoy a thought-provoking gentle voyage of remembrance with food, drink and laughter to your loved one’s deployment location. Upon arrival, spend time of reflection and memories, celebrating your love one.
- Release your loved one’s ashes into the living hands of nature where we all have arrived, along with flowers and a tribute to their life.
- Return to dock location to bid farewell.
NJ Deployment Schedule: April through November
Total Deployment Time: Between 2 1/4 – 2 1/2 hours.
Dock (deployment) Location: 101 Main Street, Corbin City, NJ 08270
Vessel: 30′ Chaparral Luxury Yacht Deck Boat (This boat holds up to 8 passengers)
Items Provided: Appetizers, Drink and Seasonal Flowers during voyage
Journey and Waterway:
- Up the 5 mile National and Scenic Tuckahoe River to the Great Egg Inlet located between Ocean City and Longport out to 3 nautical miles at sea to deploy remains. This part of the voyage is planned for 45 minutes. (Tuckahoe River is part of the United States national park system)
- Return to Great Egg Bay, taking a leisurely voyage behind Ocean City or Longport while enjoying provided appetizers and drink. This part of the voyage is planned for 1 hour.
- Return to dock upon completition of leisurely voyage. This part of the voyage is planned for 30 minutes.
(Unaccompanied remains – deployments occur once a month. Remains must be delivered or mailed to 327 Marshallville Rd. Steelmantown, NJ 08270)
A certificate is provided to the family documenting the date and location of your loved one’s ashes. We also offer the preparation and filing of the EPA paperwork and submission on your behalf.
Additional Locations Offered:
Los Angeles: Yacht locations vary (8 locations and numerous vessels, some accommodating dinners, and other options. These will all be priced per specific locations and accommodation.
California deployment schedule: Offered Year-Round
We also offer full body burial at sea (priced individually based upon accommodation)
For more information or pricing, please “Contact Us“ by filling out the website form and submitting your request.